The province has reported 33 new cases of people being infected with COVID-19 as of Thursday afternoon. Currently, there are 59 people who have been hospitalized with the virus, with six of them in intensive care.
Four more people have died from the virus. All of the deaths were at a continuing care facility in Calgary. In all, 132 Albertans have died so far from the virus.
"Older individuals are at higher risk of sever outcomes from COVID-19. The average age of those who have died from COVID-19 is 82 years – which is why long-term care and other continuing care facilities remain a priority for both me and Alberta Health Services. We will continue to monitor outbreaks at these facilities and take additional measures as necessary," said Alberta chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw.
Hinshaw said there has been a downward trend in active cases across the province and that even though it is too early to see the full impact of the first relaunch phase, case numbers have held steady.
The province has left the reopening of playgrounds up to municipalities and is not requiring schools or municipalities to clean and disinfect them. The province has posted guidelines for parents for information on the risks of using playgrounds and the measures parents can take to reduce those risks.
Calgary and Brooks will continue to reopen gradually, so that the province can monitor any increase in spread from open retail, daycares and other activities.
There are currently 926 active cases of the virus in Alberta, most of which are in the Calgary zone. So far, 5,710 Albertans have recovered.