Skip to content

Mirvish calls off short-lived Toronto revival of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'

20220706110740-19db87b308bf718ee77d03d073d19ad2365eb88cb70b196c0cd268f7940b55da
James Delisco Beeks, top centre, Aaron LaVigne and the Company of the North American Tour of "Jesus Christ Superstar" are seen in an undated handout photo. Mirvish announced Wednesday that the pandemic-plagued touring production will no longer return to Toronto this summer. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Matthew Murphy, *MANDATORY CREDIT*

TORONTO, Ohio — Mirvish Productions is scuttling plans to resurrect "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Mirvish announced Wednesday that the pandemic-plagued touring production will no longer return to Toronto this summer.

The 50th anniversary revival of the rock opera played several performances at the Princess of Wales Theatre in late 2021 before the show was shuttered by the emergence of Omicron variant of COVID-19.

Mirvish previously announced that the production would fulfil the rest of its run in August at the Royal Alexandra Theatre.

The theatre company says "unforeseen logistical and scheduling conflicts" have thwarted those plans.

Mirvish says all ticket holders will be contacted.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 6, 2022.

The Canadian Press