Skip to content

Humboldt driver gets eight years

The truck driver responsible for the Humboldt Broncos bus crash has been given 8 years behind bars. Judge Inez Cardinal, who called the collision “catastrophic,” handed Jaskirat Singh Sidhu down his sentence on Friday morning.
0

The truck driver responsible for the Humboldt Broncos bus crash in April 2018 has been sentenced to eight years behind bars.

Judge Inez Cardinal, who called the collision “catastrophic,” handed Jaskirat Singh Sidhu his sentence Friday morning.

Sidhu received eight years for each of the 16 fatalities and five years for each of the 13 people that were injured in the crash. The sentences will be served concurrently.

Cardinal said she considered the victim impact statements bereaved families and friends delivered to the court earlier this year when she was making her decision in this case.

“I want all victims and their families to know their voices have been heard in these proceedings.”

“Most find the pain unbearable. Families have been torn apart.”

While delivering her sentence, Cardinal said the collision was avoidable and that attention to the road matters.

“Mr. Sidhu’s actions directly killed 16 innocent people and injured 13 more ... the impact will reverberate for years to come”

Cardinal also noted Sidhu pleaded guilty and expressed remorse for his actions.

The Crown asked the judge to consider a sentence of 10 years on each count, to be served concurrently, followed by a 10-year driving ban.

The defence did not seek a specific sentence, but cited cases with a range of 1.5 to 4.5 years behind bars.

For more, see the Saturday edition of the Gazette.


Jennifer Henderson

About the Author: Jennifer Henderson

Jennifer Henderson joined the St. Albert Gazette in 2016. She writes about municipal, provincial and federal politics; court and crime; general news and features.
Read more



Comments