Skip to content

CARTER, Albert Gordon


On April 5, 2020 at the age of 88, sadly with heavy hearts we announce the passing of our Dad, Grandfather, Great-Grandfather and friend - GORD CARTER. He will dearly be missed by his children Bill (Lynn), Wade (Debbie) and Mitch, as well as his 8 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren and his sisters Betty and Sheila. He was predeceased by his loving wife Marie & his sisters Mona, Geraldine, Lois and his brother David.

Gord was born in St. John’s, Newfoundland as ALBERT GORDON CARTER on the 15 December 1931. He was one of 6 children, 5 sisters and 1 brother. He joined the military in 1949, he served for 38 years. Dad was influenced to join the military because of his experience with the Church Lads’ Brigade, a youth group that’s still active today.

His first posting was to 1 RCHA in Shilo, Manitoba. He then volunteered for the Airborne and was posted to B Light Battery which was changed to 1 Light Battery (PARA) RCA. While with the Light Battery he volunteered to go to Korea with the 1 RCHA in 1952 until 1953. On his return to Canada, he married the love of his life Marie.

In 1957 he was with the 1 RCHA where he and Marie were posted to Germany until the Regiment returned to Gagetown, New Brunswick in 1960. In 1967 he was posted to Shilo, MB on the GP 4 Gunnery Course, upon his completion he then volunteered to serve in the newly formed Elite Canadian Airborne Regiment located in Edmonton, AB. Where he remained until 1975 when he was posted to the Combat Arms School in Gagetown, NB. Gord was once again posted to Germany in 1977 and in 1979 he was promoted to Captain and posted back to Edmonton as RSS to 20 FA Regiment. This is where Gord remained living until he retired from the military in 1987. Gord was an active member of the St. Albert Legion having served as the Sgt. at Arms. He was a proud member of this organization. He volunteered to lead the Remembrance Day Parade, he did this for many years and considered it a badge of honour. He visited many of the elementary schools and volunteered to help sell poppies in the weeks leading up to Remembrance Day. He considered himself lucky to have made so many friends, who all looked out for each other. The army wasn’t a job it was a “life”.

He will be missed, but not forgotten.

The family will be hosting a Remembrance Ceremony at the St. Albert Legion at a later date.