Today is Raiders Day in St. Albert.
Eight of the 12 St. Albert Raiders Hockey Club teams will be on display in seven games at Servus Credit Union Place.
Four teams – midget AAA female St. Albert Slash, midget AAA St. Albert Nektar Raiders, bantam AAA St. Albert Gregg Distributors Sabres and midget AA St. Albert Source for Sports Crusaders – are ranked first in their respective leagues.
The marquee match between the Crusaders (15-0-1) and St. Albert Steel (10-3-1) of the Northern Alberta Midget AA Hockey League starts at 8:30 p.m. at Mark Messier Arena.
The rest of the games are as follows:
• Slash (14-0-1) vs. Calgary Fire (7-7) in Alberta Female Hockey League, 2:15 p.m. at Go Auto Arena.
• St. Albert Flyers (7-8-6) vs. Grande Peace Storm (3-13-5) in Alberta Minor Midget AAA Hockey League, 3:30 p.m. at Mark Messier Arena.
• Bantam elite female St. Albert Chargers (1-7-2) vs. North Central Impact (6-4-1) of Leduc in AFHL, 5 p.m. at Troy Murray Arena.
• Sabres (16-3-1) vs. Lloydminster Bobcats (9-3-5) in Alberta Major Bantam Hockey League, 5:15 p.m. at Go Auto Arena.
• St. Albert Royals (6-7-4) vs. PAC Saints (0-14-2) in Rural & Edmonton Midget 15AA Hockey League, 6 p.m. at Mark Messier Arena.
• Raiders (16-1-2) vs. KC Pats (5-10-3) in Alberta Midget AA Hockey League, 7:45 p.m. at Go Auto Arena.
The second annual Raiders Day is a celebration of hockey in St. Albert while promoting the history of the Raiders Club in developing good hockey players and good people.
The Raiders Club will have food bank and toy collection bins at all three rinks and is donating its portion of the day-long progressive 50/50 to Special Olympics St. Albert. The winning number will be announced through raidershockey.ca and social media.
The Raiders Club also has an information booth situated on the upper floor with a board member available to answer questions, plus a silent action sports’ memorabilia table with items from Raiders’ alumni in the National Hockey League.
The St. Albert Bears are hosting a #Bearsfighthunger game Dec. 22 against the St. Albert Blues in the Edmonton Rural Bantam AA Hockey League.
Puck drop is 8 p.m. at Mark Messier Arena.
Fans are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items in support of the St. Albert Food Bank.
Hunter, the Edmonton Oilers’ mascot, will be in attendance.
Last year’s fundraiser initiative between the Bears and Blues at Jarome Iginla Arena raised 1,042 lbs. of food.
The team motto for the Bears is Give or Get.
In league play, the Blues (12-2-5) and Bears (5-10-2) are blue division teams in the metro conference and in October the Blues beat the Bears 3-1.