Skip to content

Vader bail denied

Accused murderer Travis Vader will stay behind bars for the foreseeable future after a provincial court judge denied his release.
Travis Vader on the first day of his murder trial.
Travis Vader on the first day of his murder trial.

Accused murderer Travis Vader will stay behind bars for the foreseeable future after a provincial court judge denied his release.

Judge Lloyd Malin heard evidence Friday morning relating to the new charges laid against Vader earlier this month, before making a decision Monday. Vader showed little emotion or reaction from the prisoner's box as lawyers argued the bail application.

A publication ban requested by Vader's lawyer covers evidence heard at the hearing, arguments, and the reasons for the decision.

Vader is charged with the July 3, 2010, murder of St. Albert couple Lyle and Marie McCann, and that trial is ongoing, but he also faces additional charges from an alleged incident May 10.

Documents filed with the court show Vader is charged with break and enter into a West Edmonton business and stealing copper wire, being in possession of a stolen truck, breaching his conditions by possessing drugs and breaching conditions by contacting a witness in his murder trial, Don Bulmer.

When the murder trial began March 8, Vader was out on bail. He faced a bail review April 22 after showing up late to the trial for the fourth time. He had said on several occasions he was late because of car trouble, and on one occasion said he was late because he had been kicked out of his hotel room.

Judge Paul Belzil varied his release conditions at that time to allow for random urine samples to test for drugs, a test Vader is alleged to have failed May 5.

Vader's murder trial began March 8, and has run for more than 50 days since then. Lawyers have finished calling evidence, and final arguments are scheduled for June 22-24. Justice Denny Thomas has said he expects to render a decision by the end of August.